ConceptCar >

Sponsored Links
> Design Supplies
> DesignProHost
> Automotive CAD
> Advertise Here

Car Design Online

Project: less-complex seating

Requests for help, advice and suggestions...

Moderator: matt

Project: less-complex seating

Postby mona25_vienna on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:21 am

Hi,
my name is mona and I am a student from Vienna. I joined your group because I think here are lots of innovative people, who might help me with my issue.

Currently I am doing a project in my course "Sources of Innovation" where we carried out a survey about the latest trend in automotive seating rails.
So we found out that most people feel uncomfortable with complex seating mechanism.
They want to change their seat position very easily and fast and the existing electronic solutions are very complex and difficult to use. So the trend is more back to simple and easy to use solutions.

We are now searching for users who have solved this problem through new solutions.

I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me where I can find people who have done such changes at their carseats!

And PLEASE don't be upset if you find my message in other groups :) I am doing my best for finding innovative people.

THANK YOU & BEST WISHES
mona
mona25_vienna

Re: Project: less-complex seating

Postby designgeek on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:08 pm

Hello,

I don't know if this is completely relevant - but a few years back Seymour Powell tried to redesign the relatively complex airline seat:

http://www.designcouncil.info/betterbyd ... lenge.html

If you want to look at automotive seats, Renault concepts have traditionally been very much simplified - at least in the last 10 years or so (even though it never makes it to production).

Personally, I have worked on projects where we've proposed using materials from product design to produce stripped down seating with comfort derived more from shape than material.

I think there's plenty of potential here - but more on the low end of vehicle design. Expectations of comfort and finish are very rigid at the high end.
designgeek

Return to Advice Wanted